Thanksgiving Point's Potato Leek Soup
2 dried bay leafs
6 springs fresh rosemary or 2 tea dried rosemary
1 tea whole black pepper corns
3 tab olive oil
4 tab unsalted butter
4 celery talks - strings removed & diced
6 leeks, white parts, thinly sliced and well washed
4 shallots, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 pounds potato's peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 quarts chicken broth
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
fresh ground pepper
1. Tie all herbs into cheese cloth sack and set aside.
2. Heat oil and butter in stock pot. Add celery, leeks, shallots, and garlic. Cook on low until soft, stir only briefly. DO NOT BROWN!
3. Add potatoes and chicken broth and spices. Bring to a boil and reduce to a gentle simmer.
4. Let simmer for about 20 mins and remove spices.
5. Working in batches use stand up hand held mixer and puree veggies in soup until half smooth, half chunky.
6. Place all veggies in sauce pan and slowly add cream, milk, salt and pepper.
This recipe is also found in the Martha Stewart 2000 cookbook.